Let’s Create a Safe Space
We understand that you probably have some questions regarding the additional safety measures we are taking in light of the evolving COVID-19 situation. We want you to know we remain committed to our patron experience and safety. That is why we have made the following significant updates to our facility and visitor policies.
The Center was closed to the public on March 18th and to staff on March 21st, and reopened to the public on July 1st. During that time, our air filters were professionally replaced to hospital-grade filters and the Center has been professionally cleaned and sanitized to make it a safe place upon reopening. The Center closed again from September 1st to December 18th for renovations to our new Space Explorer Gallery and IMAX theater.
The following changes will affect all Virginia Air & Space Science Center visitors:
- Masks are REQUIRED to be worn by ALL visitors, per the guidance of the Governor and CDC.
- The Center has social distancing markers on the floor, strategically placed sanitization stations, and plexiglass dividers where necessary.
- The IMAX Theater – Some seats or rows are unavailable for use to encourage social distancing and the theater is sanitized between showtimes.
- The Cosmic Cafe has a limited menu; boxed lunches are not available for groups.
- Volunteer docents are not available; there will be no docent-led tours until further notice.
- The MaxFlight Simulator is closed until further notice.
The following changes will affect Camp NASA campers and parents only:
- Class sizes will be reduced by 50%, with respect to restrctions on ‘gathered groups.’
- Lunch will not be offered as an add-on for Camp NASA 2021, including pizza on Fridays.
- Campers will have individual supply kits, which will not be shared with any other campers.
- Hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes will be available in every classroom and will be used between activities and upon re-entering the classrooms from other areas of the Center.
We will continue to monitor conditions and reevaluate our safety requirements as necessary, keeping this page updated as changes are made. Our top priority is to ensure the health and safety of our patrons and staff. As always, thank you for supporting us with your patronage. We can’t wait to see you!