Let’s Create a Safe Space
We understand that you probably have some questions regarding the additional safety measures we are taking in light of the evolving COVID-19 situation. We want you to know we remain committed to our patron experience and safety. That is why we have made the following significant updates to our facility and visitor policies.
The Center was closed to the public on March 18th and to staff on March 21st, and reopened to the public on July 1st. During that time, our air filters were professionally replaced to hospital-grade filters and the Center has been professionally cleaned and sanitized to make it a safe place upon reopening. The Center has been closed since September 1st for renovations to our new Space Explorer Gallery and IMAX theater.
The following changes will affect all Virginia Air & Space Science Center visitors:
- Masks will be REQUIRED to be worn by ALL visitors, as per the guidance of the Governor and CDC.
- The Center will have social distance markers on the floor, strategically placed sanitization stations, and plexiglass dividers where necessary.
- The IMAX Theater – Some seats or rows will be unavailable for use to encourage social distancing and the theater will be sanitized between showtimes.
- The Cosmic Cafe will have a limited menu; boxed lunches will not be available for groups.
- Volunteer docents will not be available; there will be no docent-led tours until further notice.
- The MaxFlight Simulator will be closed until further notice.
We will continue to monitor conditions and reevaluate our safety requirements as necessary, keeping this page updated as changes are made. Our top priority is to ensure the health and safety of our patrons and staff. As always, thank you for supporting us with your patronage. We can’t wait to see you!